Plastic supermarket bags are on the out. Yippee! It has taken so long for Australia to catch on. I lived in Germany over 20 years ago and even then, the country had recyclable plastic bags and supermarket hessian shopping bags to use. It was part of the normal lifestyle.
With the world busting at the seams with rubbish, oceans full of plastic straws and bags, isn’t it time we looked at our lifestyle and did a few things differently for ourselves and our creatures?
A simple online search reveals some pretty alarming facts:
Every year, the world dumps a massive 2.12 billion tons of waste. Only about a third gets recycled.
The average Australian produces 1.5 tonnes of waste in a year. Much of this household waste is avoidable – like plastic packaging and food waste.
By 2050, there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish (by weight). Here are 5 tips you can start with straightaway to help make change for a better world:
- Use bees wax cling wrap. Yep, that’s right, get rid of the plastic cling wrap in your cupboard and try using these wonderful reusable wraps to protect your food, kids’ sandwiches and wraps. Throw away your cling wrap for ever and get on trend with environmental food wraps!
- Go plastic free by using the The Swag. This fabulous new product helps to store your fruit and veg in the fridge for longer, keeping it fresh and clean. No need for cling wrap ever again.
- Be informed. There are plenty of amazing plastic-free campaigns out there, including BBC’s Plastics Watch and OceanWatch Australia’s round-up of existing initiatives tackling ocean plastics.
- Metal reusable drinking straws Its time for boost juice to get on the environment bandwagon too. When I go to buy my boost juice, I always take my reusable straw with me. https://www.biome.com.au/807-stainless-steel-straws
- Bamboo recyclable toothbrush. Lets move to the bathroom and look at how we can get rid of more plastic in our lives. Try this amazing toothbrush and support the environment. Do away with your old ratty toothbrushes and try a natural approach and total feel good helping the planet be a better place for our kids.
We can all do our bit one step at a time. Save money and the planet at the same time while demonstrating to our children that we can all play a role in making our world a better place.